Thursday 12 June 2014

Gaymers

It's rare that anything interesting will ever result from a match on Tinder but this week I was fortunate enough to be matched with and messaged by one very attractive guy (like so damn attractive I can't even).  He exposed me to something new and something gay.  Gaymers, a sect of the gay community unknown to me for far too long.  I often hear about the gay scene being incestuous, bitchy and rather unpleasant.  I have experienced the cliques, I've witnessed the exclusive attitudes and I've been exposed to the bitchiness.  Yet I was invited into a new community of gamers' with open arms.  For the record I would not classify myself as a gamer, I haven't actively participated in gaming for years.  I also don't enjoy watching anime and I was not aware K-Pop even existed until recently.  I have very little in common with these people in that sense.  Regardless it was all irrelevant.  They don't care about how you look, what you're into or who you sleep with.  They only care about your personality and how you treat others.

A quick background on the Gaymer Guild.  From what I was told it was established as a judgement-free university group for gays who like to game.  Makes sense right?  This is exactly what it is and how nice does that sound?  I found a group of people who I don't have to fear and I've made friends who I know I can keep.  Some would suggest these are the outcasts of the mainstream gay community.  Many of them don't go clubbing and for some it has been years since they set foot in The Court.  It's because they want to get away from that culture that can easily chew you up and spit you out.

So I arrived and for the first three or four hours I sat there socially awkward around a bunch of guys doing nothing more than playing games together. I was nicknamed "The Quiet Achiever" (do I sense jealously over my Mario Kart skills?).  I feel rather stupid now, I had no reason to be like that.  As soon as I got to loosen up, well there was no going back.  I bonded with my new friends over Sharknado as some of the others were watching and passionately singing along to Frozen.  It was an amazing night followed by a fun morning of Adventure Time, Grindr talk and medical education from the guilds creator/passionate nurse and from what I've heard also an amazing person in general.  Definitely an experience worth having and repeating!

The entire gay community can learn from this group.  Whether you call them nerds, geeks or gaymers they are good people who respect everyone unconditionally.  Some are odd, they have their quirks and habits and they don't all look like AC models or the love child of Zac Efron and Channing Tatum but that all becomes irrelevant when you realise they're warm, caring and loving people (as corny as it sounds). They're real friends with a real support network and what I witnessed although isn't a perfect scene, it is something we all as a community should try to strive for.  Play hard and be proud!


No comments:

Post a Comment