Thursday 5 June 2014

Redheads

Reppin' that ginge
Fanta Pubes, Carrot Top, Ranga and Ginger are just some of the words used to describe this mysterious race of outcasts and I just happen to be one.  Being blessed with a tinge of the ginge is something that will guarantee you a life of comments, stereotypes and no, it is not 'strawberry blonde', being a red head makes me no different to anyone else, I am after all human and I do have a soul despite popular belief.  Yet, with my limited and information-packed experience within the gay community, I have found an interesting reaction to my mutant gene. It's a reaction that I have never experienced before when dealing with straight society.  It seems that being a redhead is almost a type of fetish for many gays I've met.

It's fair to say being different will result in a lot of crap coming your way and the world-wide bullying has resulted in a push for the redhead image to be changed.  We are not ugly, gross, alien or stupid and we do not deserve to be treated differently for something we are born with.  Being ranga is like being gay, we have to adapt to the jokes, the snares and the occasional bullying.  We have to take what makes us different and wear it with pride.  That's why I call my self a fag, a homo, a ranga, a ginger because I am these things and it is no insult to call me them.  Yet being a ginger does not always result in negative treatment.

The sexual curiosity that dwells within many non-redhead gays results in a rather flattering treatment at times.  Most of it is formed by myths and legends that create a stereotype for those with ginger hair.  It is flattering to be desired, this we can all agree on.  I enjoy being called a 'cute redhead'. I enjoy having people who make my hair colour something that's attractive and not disgusting but it's time to crack this stereotype wide open. 

The most frequently asked question I get is "Do rangas have red pubes?"  Uhh.. Yes!  Generally (but not always) your body hair will match the hair on your head, which makes me deem this also as the most annoying and stupid question of them all (although it is asked usually as an attempt to get a look at something else).  Following this is "Is it true what they say about red heads ;) ?" My penis size is not determined by my hair colour.  People with red hair have a variety of different shaped penises, all of them which you should enjoy.  So are all red heads hung?  Science says no!  So there you have it guys, the two biggest sources of curiosity answered.  Although this is all objectively speaking and although personal experience may lead you to believe otherwise that is just a matter of coincidence.

Now comes for the part I cannot answer as science or common sense has not yet explored this.  Are red heads sexy?  Are they good in bed?  Do they do things better?  Do they have short tempers?  There was one study to suggest we feel pain differently but the mysteries of the ranga are still yet to be explored by science.  There is one thing I can assure you and it is the message of this weeks blog.  Redheads are human, we are like everyone else and deserve the same expectations and treatment.  We should not be stereotyped or outcast and we deserve respect.  If you are a person who hates rangas because of their hair colour you're no better than a man who hates gays because of their sexuality or a woman who hates Asians because of their race!  This goes especially out to those who are gay and discriminate against people, you are what hold us back.

As for my experience of being a redhead, it will always be fascinating to see how something rare is treated so differently. As for my experience of being gay I will always be fighting off those 'ranga-chasers' and gay haters.  Be proud!
Running from those Ranga Chasers!

No comments:

Post a Comment